Professional learning opportunities
Little Lessons Australia presents Autism Spectrum Disorder: recognition and assessment in the home and classroom – instructional practices for all ages with Professor Robyn Young. Thursday 19 October, 3:45pm – 6:15pm. Cove Civic Centre, 1 Ragamuffin Drive, Hallett Cove, $65 + booking fee. For more information and to register click here.
The Hartley Institute is holding a Play and Pedagogical Documentation: why focus on socio-dramatic play? (Children aged 2 – 5 years) workshop with Dr Jo Fahey. Saturday 28 October, 9:00am-12:30pm, 54 Capper Street, Kent Town. Cost $99 Click here for more information.
Kathryn Hardwick-Franco, a music teacher with 30 years of experience, is a Master of Music, Master of Education and Doctor of Education candidate with training from the International Yamaha Music Foundation. Kathryn is holding a workshop at the Education Development Centre, 4 Milner Street, Hindmarsh Teaching Primary School Music – made easy on Friday 13th October, 9:00am – 3:00pm. Cost $220.00. Training is linked to Australian Curriculum and AITSL standards.
Online training options can be negotiated with rural staff. For more information click here.
Music and Fun is an all-day workshop for pre-school early childhood educators interested in obtaining fresh ideas for their music programmes. Tuesday 10 October, 9:15am – 4:00pm at St Matt’s Church Kensington. All attendees receive 2 CDs and 2 accompanying books containing over 60 songs and activities. Cost $120, register at firstname.lastname@example.org or find out more here.
An EdTechSA Team Summit featuring Google for Education is being held on Thursday 12 & Friday 13 October at Immanuel College, Novar Gardens. Cost $419 with discounts for groups. Find out more or register here.
ALEA SA presents Challenge-based Technologies Education with and through digital literacies on Thursday 12 October at EDC (9.00am to 12.30pm). Facilitated by Prof Chris Walsh, James Cook University, the workshop will explore how teachers can use digital literacies and hands on inquiry-based projects to teach the Australian Curriculum: Technologies. Register before the end of Term 3 as limited places available! Click here.
Special Education Planning is holding two Mindfulness for Children/ Students with Diverse Needs workshops on:
- Thursday 28 September, 4:30pm-6:00pm, Thebarton Community Centre, Cnr South Road & Ashwin Parade, Torrensville, cost $29/$39. More information here.
- Wednesday 4th October, 1pm- 2:30pm. West Lakes Community Centre, Brebner Drive, West Lakes, cost $29/ $39. For more information click here.
They are also holding a Mindfulness for Children/ Students with Diverse Needs webinar on Thursday 26 October, 7:00pm-8:30pm, cost $27.33/$37.83. More information here.
Musica Viva is holding a free Music for Wellbeing in the Primary Classroom forum which will present a range of fun music activities that encourage positive thinking, teamwork, creativity and well-being in the primary classroom. Tuesday 7 November, 3:20pm – 4:50pm. Aldinga Beach B-7 School, 58 Quinliven Rd, Aldinga. To book click here.
- Supporting Students on the Autism Spectrum for SSO/ESO’s. Thursday 5 October, 9:30am-4:00pm, members $165, non-members $175.
- Positive Behaviour Planning for People on the Autism Spectrum. Friday 6 October, 9:30am- 4:00pm, members $165, non-members $175.
- Supporting Sensory Needs in the classroom. Friday 13 October, 9:30am-4:00pm, members $165, non-members $175.
All sessions are held at Autism SA, 262 Marion Road, Netley. For more information click here.
The Australian Education Union SA is holding a New Educators Conference for their members on Thursday 5 October. The conference is free for all early career teachers (ECT) in their first three years of teaching who have not attended an ECT conference in 2016 or earlier this year. For more information click here.
EdTechSA is holding Learn to Program in Python for teachers with little to no programming experience who wish to learn the basics. Immanuel College Function Centre, 32 Morphett Road, Novar Gardens, 9:00am-4:00pm on Wednesday 4 October, cost $170. For more information and to register, click here.
Apple offer free Educator Field Trips at their Rundle Mall store where they show you how to use Apple products in the classroom. Sessions last 60-90 minutes. Find out more here.
A Call for Workshops is open for the STEM (6-11) Conference hosted by the South Australian Science Teachers Association and the Mathematical Association of South Australia. For more information and to submit a presentation by 22 September click here.
Principals Australia Institute (PAI) is holding:
- a one-day Teacher Wellbeing workshop designed to enable teachers and school staff members to build resilience in and out of the classroom: Westland Hotel Motel, 100 McDouall Stuart Avenue, Whyalla Norrie, Monday 16 October from 9:00am – 4:00pm, $395. Register here.
- a one-day Leading Change workshop on change management in schools. PAI, Level 1, 205 Greenhill Road, Eastwood, Tuesday 17 October from 8:30am – 4:00pm, $465. Register here.
The Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander Education & Transitions Conference is being held in Sydney on Wednesday 25 and Thursday 26 October at Rydges World Square. The conference will focus on strategies to improve educational outcomes and support transitions for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students. More information here.