Professional learning opportunities
The Adelaide Language Festival 2017 is being held from 2:00pm – 7:00pm on Wednesday 29 November, at Bonython Hall, University of Adelaide. Free admission. For more information email: email@example.com
Learning 4 All is holding a workshop for school assistants, special education and classroom teachers: Supporting students with Down Syndrome, intellectual disability, chromosomal disorders and development delay. Friday 24 November, 9:00am-3:30am at The Highway, 290 Anzac Highway, Plympton, cost $140. To find out more or book click here.
- Planning for Complex Students on the Autism Spectrum. Thursday 16 November, 9:30am-4:00pm, members $165, non-members $175.
- Setting Students on the Autism Spectrum Up for Success in the Primary School Setting. Wednesday 22 November, 9:30pm- 4:00pm, members $165, non-members $175.
- How to Increase Engagement with Students on the Autism Spectrum: Scheduling ‘work’ ‘rewards’ and ‘breaks’. Wednesday 29 November, 1:00pm-4:00pm, members $85, non-members $90.
- Setting Up ‘A’ and ‘B’ Choices in the Classroom. Wednesday 29 November, 4:30pm – 6:30pm, members $50, non-members $55.
All sessions are held at Autism SA, 262 Marion Road, Netley. For more information click here.
The Early Childhood Organisation is holding A Visit to the Little Sprouts Kitchen Garden workshop. Thursday 23 November, 4:00pm-6:00pm at the Goodman Building, Adelaide Botanic Garden. Cost $25. To find out more please email: Jessica.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dyslexia SA presents – speech & language pathologist Dr Bartek Rajkowski: ‘Why teachers of English spelling need to be experts in the sounds of speech’. In this workshop Dr Bartek Rajkowski will convince you that written English has an undeserved reputation for being illogical! He will explain why English words are spelled the way they are, and why teaching kids to read and spell requires us to be experts in understanding the relationship between English speech sounds and spelling. The Education Development Centre, 4 Milner Street, Hindmarsh, Monday 6 November, 5:00pm7:15pm, cost $50. To book or find our more click here.
Drama SA is holding a Senior Drama Forum designed for Year 11 and 12 drama teachers to stimulate their thinking around curriculum, discuss strategies and also share best practice methodology with assessment tasks in the senior years. At Cabra Dominican College, 225 Cross Road, Cumberland Park on Friday 17 November, 4.30pm-6.30pm. For more information click here. Email email@example.com to register.
CSIRO: Intro to open inquiry: techniques for the classroom webinar
Creativity in Research, Engineering, Science and Technology (CREST) is a non-competitive, awards-based program for students to creatively and critically engage with open-ended STEM investigations in the classroom and at home. The introductory sessions will take you through the CREST processes and techniques that can be used to help embed open inquiry in your teaching practices. Register your interest for either Tuesday 14 November 4:00pm – 5:00pm (AEDT) or Wednesday 29 November, 3:30pm-4:30pm (AEDT).
Little Lessons Australia is holding a Sensory Processing in the School Environment seminar with Kelly Kroeger a paediatric occupational therapist. Monday 13 November, 4:00pm-6:30pm at the Belair Park Country Club, Upper Sturt Road, Belair. Cost is $65 + booking fee. To find out more or register click here.
The TRB’s very own Dr Peter Lind is the guest speaker at the last Education on the Square presentation for 2017. He will be speaking about the new standards and processes for accrediting Initial Teacher Education (ITE) programs and what this means for educators. There will also be a discussion and question and answer session on the Teacher Education Ministerial Advisory Group’s (TEMAG) work. Wednesday 8 November, 5:30pm-7:30pm at Flinders University, Victoria Square, Corner Flinders Street & Victoria Square, Adelaide. Cost $15. To register or find out more click here.
The Geography Teachers Association of South Australia is holding two country workshops:
- Bordertown High School, Friday 3 November, 9:30m-2:30pm
- Nuriootpa High School, Friday 10 November, 9:30am-2:30pm.
Cost: members $80, non-members $107. To find out more or register click here.
WriteMe (Rosie Kerin) is holding:
- Reinvigorating English: Planning for Years 7 and 8 on Monday 13 OR Thursday 23 November, 9.00am - 3.00pm at Holden Street Theatre, Hindmarsh. Cost $245 for one teacher, $450 for two teachers booking together. Bookings and information here.
- Writing and Teaching Narrative (Years 6 to 12) on Friday 24 November, 9.00am - 3.00pm at Holden Street Theatre, Hindmarsh. Cost $245 for one teacher, $450 for two teachers booking together. Bookings and information here.