Professional learning opportunities
The Kodaly Music workshop that was to be held in Term 1 has been postponed due to a clash with the ASME workshop. However, they have exciting things in store for their Term 2 workshop including Performing Arts in the Primary Years and look forward to seeing you then.
Occupational Therapy for Children is holding a Teacher PD Day on Monday 6 August. The day will challenge your understanding of sensory integration and child development, offer opportunities for discussion and generate new ideas. The Hilton Hotel, 233 Victoria Square, Adelaide, 8:15am – 4:00pm. Cost $250pp. For more information or to book click here.
Improving STEM Education Conference, Wednesday 14 & Thursday 15 March, Rydges World Square, Sydney. For more information click here.
- Supporting Students on the Autism Spectrum for School Services Officers and Education Support Officers. Wednesday 21 February, 9:30am-4:00pm, members $165, non-members $175.
- Handwriting: Overcoming Barriers to a Lifelong Skill. Friday 23 February, 9:30am-12:30pm, members $85, non-members $90.
- Supporting Students on the Autism Spectrum in OSCHC. Wednesday 28 February, 9:30am-4:00pm, members $165, non-members $175.
All workshops are being held at Autism SA, 262 Marion Road, Netley. Find our more information here.
Understanding Autism Spectrum Disorder – Teaching strategies and behaviour support with Sue Larkey. Friday 23 March, 9:30am-3:00pm, Morphettville Racecourse, 79 Morphett Road, Morphettville. Book prior to 20 March $165, full fee $185. To find out more or to book click here.
Ideal Learning has extended their online professional learning offer until June 2018. All South Australian teachers can purchase 30 hours of self-paced online professional learning in Neuroeducation for a total price of $99+GST. If you are a TRT who is not connected to a school please use your home address and write ‘SA TRB’ for your place of employment and principal. Teachers don't have to be an Ideal Learning member, or a school member. This is a standalone special offer for South Australian teachers who click the link below. If you have previously purchased one of these courses, the rest of the courses in the list will be added to those you have already purchased. To find out more click here.
ACHPER SA is holding the following professional learning events:
- Early Career Teachers’ Seminar, Friday 16 February, 8:45am-3:30pm, Thebarton Community Centre, South Road, Torrensville. Find out more here.
- Year 12 PE Teachers Seminar, Friday 16 February, 1:00-5:00pm, Concordia College, 24 Winchester Street, Highgate. Find our more here.
- Australian Curriculum: Assessing Student Progress in HPE, Wednesday 21 February 9:00am-3:30pm, venue TBC. Find out more here.
- Jump Start Your Health & Physical Education Program R-10 workshop, Monday 26 February, 8:30-11:30am at the Thebarton Community Centre, South Road, Torrensville. Find out more here.
The Business & Enterprise Teachers Association of SA is holding the following events:
- A business teachers planning mini forum on Saturday 17 February, 10:00-11:30am at Papparazzi, 291 Unley Road, Malvern. Free for members.
- BETA Planning 2018 on Wednesday 28 February, 4:00-6:00pm at St Mary’s College, 253 Franklin Street, Adelaide. Free for members.
Special Education Planning is holding a Positive Behaviour Support: An Approach for Tricky Behaviours workshop. This will provide practical and relevant ideas to implement positive behaviour support for children/ students with autism or other developmental delays. There will be three presenters, one is a special educator and the other two are qualified behavioural therapists. Monday 26th March, 4:30-6:30pm at the Sophia Conference Centre, 225 Cross Road, Cumberland Park. Cost: $50/ $60 + booking fee. Book here.
Learning Journeys is holding the following workshops:
- Sat 17th Feb, 9-12noon Creating an Engaging and Supportive Learning Day
- Wed 21st Feb, 4-6.30pm Creating an Engaging and Supportive Learning Day
- Sat 17th Feb, 9.00-12.00 Australian Curriculum: Have you got it all together?
At the Education Development Centre, 4 Milner Street, Hindmarsh. Book here or email email@example.com for more information.
Musical Child presents Carol Biddiss M.Ed. - Early Learning through Music - How to engage children through musical instruments, a hands-on workshop for preschool and JP teachers, early childhood educators and directors of early learning centres. Wednesday 21st February OR Thursday 22nd March 3.30pm - 5.30pm at the Education Development Centre, 4 Milner St. Hindmarsh. Cost $67. To find out more or to book here.
SAVE THE DATE
The Association for Secondary Research Teacher Annual Conference, Saturday 17 March at Prince Alfred College. Keynote speakers: Dr Mike Musker, Mind & Brain Senior Research Fellow SAHMRI and Prof Stephen Begg – Helping Students Make Better Decisions. Members $60, general admission $75.70. To book click here. For more information click here.
The Australian Conference of Brain-Based Education: Theory and Practice of Applied Brain-Based Pedagogy is being held in Melbourne on Thursday 1 and Friday 2 March. Royal Melbourne Hospital, Parkville. Topics include:
- The neuroscience of learning and deep learning.
- Systems of learning in the brain.
- Trauma, the brain and education - trauma informed educator/school.
- Wellness and the brain a whole school tool (applied demonstrations from leading schools in brain-based education).
Cost: early bird $570, standard $625, group (4 or more) $565. Find out more here.
The Mindful Classroom presents the Mindful Teacher program over two 2.5hour sessions at:
Berri, Saturday 10 & 24 February, 9:00-11:30am
All session cost $155. A five hour online mindfulness & wellbeing program also available. $125 per person. Click here for more details.
The Australian Literacy Educators’ Association is holding Assessing Spelling: A window into children's literacy development presented by Dr Misty Adoniou from the University of Canberra. The workshop is being held on Saturday 17 March at the Education Development Centre, Milner Street, Hindmarsh, 9.00am to 12.30pm. Members $100, students $50, non-members $160. For more information or to book click here.
The Mathematical Association of South Australia is holding the following events:
- Information sessions for Year 12 Mathematics teachers. Saturday 17 February and Thursday 1 March, 4:40-8:30pm at Cabra College, Cross Road, Cumberland Park. To find out more or to register click here.
- Exploring the Building Blocks of Early Years Maths (Years F-2), Saturday 24 February, 9:00am-12:00pm, Annesley Junior School, 28 Rose Terrace Wayville. Cost $40. To find out more or register (by 21 Feb) click here.
The MASA Annual Conference is being held on Thursday 26 & Friday 27 April at St Peter’s College. If you are interested in presenting at the conference please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request an application form by Tuesday 6 March.
Each year the NAPLAN paper writing tasks are assessed by a team of markers from around South Australia. If you have strong knowledge of English grammar you can apply to be a NAPLAN marker. Closing date for applications is 16 Feb 2018 – apply using the online application form. Two sessions are available; Day 9:00am-3.30pm, 6 days per week (Mon-Fri, plus one weekend day) and Evening 4:00pm-8:45pm, 5 days per week (Mon-Fri, weekend day optional). Training is scheduled for 19-20 May 2018 (TBC), and marking will start 23 May 2018 (TBC) for up to 4 weeks. Actual dates will be confirmed early in 2018. Apply now!
Nature Play SA is holding a Connected Curriculum: Outdoor learning in a South Australian context workshop. Wednesday 21 February, 9:00am-4:00pm at the Seacliff Surf Life Saving Club, 248 Esplanade, Seacliff. Cost is $150+ GST & booking fee, lunch included. To find out more or to book click here.
The Primary Maths Association is holding the following workshops:
- Sat 24th Feb, 9-12noon, Making a Mathematical Start in Preschool in 2018!
- Thurs 15th Feb 9-12noon, Developing a Year Overview in Mathematics
- Wed 21st Feb, 4-6.30pm, Using Children’s Literature in Mathematics
- Thurs 22nd Feb, 4-6.30pm, Times Tables – What are they all about?
Sessions start from $66 pp, or $55 if you come with a colleague. At the Education Development Centre, 4 Milner Street, Hindmarsh. Book here or email email@example.com for more information.