Professional learning opportunities
The Hartley Institute is holding:
- a free lecture by Cliff Hignett, The impacts of climate change on Goyder’s Line on Thursday 31 May, 6:30 pm – 8:00 pm at Prince Alfred College. Ideal for any teacher or for those interested in South Australia’s agricultural viability. Click here for more information.
- Microsoft Word & Adobe InDesign training on Tuesday 19 June, 9:00m-3.30pm, ($220 pp). Click here for more information.
The Australian Science and Maths School is holding the following events:
- Early Career Teachers in STEM is designed to complement induction programs in schools and the Department for Education and aims to provide support for ECT in the early years with particular focus on STEM. Three days are available: Monday 18 June, Friday 14 September or Friday 23 November - 8:30am-4:00pm.
- ASMS Educator Open Days - the day will include class observations, school tour and questions with ASMS students together with sessions on innovative approaches such as interdisciplinary learning and inquiry pedagogies. Over one day each term: Friday 29 June, Monday 13 August or Thursday 1 November - 8:30am-4:00pm.
Both events are free for Department for Education staff and $100 per session for non-Department staff. At ASMS, Flinders University, Bedford Park. Please contact Karla Pobke or go to the ASMS website for more professional learning STEM opportunities.
SHINE SA Relationships and sexual health education professional learning for primary, secondary and disability sectors:
For all course details and to register click here.
Dolly Bhargava (Speech Pathologist with Masters in Special Education) is offering six online professional learning courses.
- Positive Behaviour Support Strategies for Students with Aggressive Behaviours
- Positive Behaviour Support Strategies for Students with Anxious Behaviours
- Positive Behaviour Support Strategies for Students with Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Positive Behaviour Support Strategies for Students with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder
- Positive Behaviour Support Strategies for Students with Oppositional and Defiant Behaviour
- Guiding the Development of Emotional Regulation Skills
All workshops are $165 and include a Positive Behaviour Support Strategies course book, a Behaviour Zen app subscription and participation certificate.
For further information telephone: 0423 293 254 or visit here.
Drama SA is holding Primary Drama Resource Swap and Networking Drinks. Friday 22 June, 5:00pm-7:00pm at the Prince Albert Pub, 254 Wright Street, Adelaide. Email Drama SA for more details.
The SA Science Teachers Association is holding an Understanding Science Series which will actively engage teachers in science investigations using an inquiry approach to build conceptual understanding.
Primary Years R-6
Chemical Sciences: Monday 25 June
Earth & Space Science: Friday 24 August
Physical Science: TBA
Biological Sciences: Friday 16 November
Chemical Sciences: Monday 4 June
Earth & Space Science: Friday 10 August
Physical Science: Tuesday 11 September
Biological Sciences: Friday 2 November
Time: 9:00am-3:00pm. Cost: members $145, corporate member $185, non-member $225.
Venue: Education Development Centre, 4 Milner Street, Hindmarsh.
The South Australian French Teachers’ Association is holding their annual conference on Saturday 2 June at The Monastery, 15 Cross Rd, Urrbrae from 8:30am-4:00pm. The conference will have a cultural focus and workshops will include French folk dancing, a presentation by the Art Gallery of South Australia on the French Impressionists and beyond, using technology to stay fluent and improve your French, intercultural assessment, SACE task design, using technology in the classroom, and our ever-popular sharing sessions. The day is fully catered and includes a barbeque lunch. Cost: members $75, non-members $90 and optional wine tasting $20, (4 types of authentic French wine). To book click here. For more information email Shontelle Stanyer.
Little Lessons is holding two seminars with Madhavi Nawana Parker:
- Persistence & Independence: How to encourage it in your students for K-Year 7 educators, SSOs, TRTs and pre-service teachers. Being held at the Victory Church, 5 Maxwell Road, Pooraka on Wednesday 16 June, 4:30pm-6:00pm. Cost - $50. To book click here.
- Building Emotional Resilience in Your Students for educators, SSOs, TRTs, pre-service teachers and allied health professional supporting children. Being held at Mount Gambier Golf Club, 235 Attamurra Road, Mt Gambier on Thursday 9 August, 9:00am–3:00pm. Cost - $165 pp includes lunch. To book click here.
Special Education Planning is holding Working with Inclusive Technologies to Improve Written Language with Jim Sprialis. The development of written communication skills relies on a complex range of skills and knowledge. Students can have difficulties developing these skills for a wide range of reasons including inadequate language skills, prior knowledge, ineffective strategies, and poor spelling. This workshop will explore inclusive technologies that can assist students who struggle to express ideas as meaningful text and to support them at various stages of the writing process (including the precursor of note taking). Multimodal technology options as alternate means of written communication will also be explored. Being held at the West Lakes Community Centre, Brebner Drive, West Lakes on Monday 18 June, 4:30pm-6:30pm. Cost $55-$65. To find out more or to book click here.