I’m an overseas trained teacher
If you currently hold an overseas teacher education award, you will need to apply for an Assessment of Qualifications to determine if they meet the minimum prescribed qualifications requirements.
An assessment of overseas teaching qualifications is the first step in the process to determine eligibility for registration as a qualified teacher in South Australia. The assessment of overseas teaching qualifications is completed in accordance with the Board's minimum prescribed qualification requirements for registration as a teacher.
Once your qualifications have been assessed as meeting the Board's requirements for teacher registration, you can lodge an Application form for Teacher Registration.
Effective 1 July 2018 new proof of identity requirements will come into effect for the Criminal History checks to be undertaken by applicants for Teacher Registration.
If you decide to lodge your Application for Teacher Registration on or before 29 June 2018, please use the following form:
- Effective on or before 29 June 2018 Application for Teacher Registration
If you decide to lodge your Application for Teacher Registration on or after 2 July 2018, please use the following form :
- Effective on or after 2 July 2018 Application for Teacher Registration
A paperclip symbol appears in the application indicating the sections of the forms requiring supporting documents.
All supporting documents must be a correctly certified copy of the original document. An acceptable person to certify the documents is a Justice of the Peace, Notary Public or Commissioner for taking Affidavits (e.g. solicitor)
All supporting documents must be in English. Documents not in English must be translated by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). Documents not in English and the translation must be lodged with the application form.
The following list indicates the supporting documents required to be included in the application form
- full birth certificate
- photographic identity e.g. drivers licence or passport
- name change document if applicable e.g. deed poll certificate, marriage certificate or decree nisi
- mandatory notification training certificate for the full day (7hr) training course
- English language test if applicable
- an overseas criminal history record check if applicable
- proof of identity documents to satisfy the 100 point identity check
You will also need to provide payment of the appropriate fees.