Skip to Content

I’m an overseas trained teacher

If you currently hold an overseas teacher education award, you will need to apply for an Assessment of Qualifications to determine if they meet the minimum prescribed qualifications requirements.

An assessment of overseas teaching qualifications is the first step in the process to determine eligibility for registration as a qualified teacher in South Australia. The assessment of overseas teaching qualifications is completed in accordance with the Board's minimum prescribed qualification requirements for registration as a teacher.

Once your qualifications have been assessed as meeting the Board's requirements for teacher registration, you can lodge an Application form for Teacher Registration.

A paperclip symbol appears in the application indicating the sections of the forms requiring supporting documents.

All supporting documents must be a correctly certified copy of the original document. All copies must be certified by the same person, whether that is a Justice of the Peace or Commissioner for taking Affidavits or Notary Public or Proclaimed Police Officer.

All supporting documents must be in English. Documents not in English must be translated by a translator accredited by the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters (NAATI). Documents not in English and the translation must be lodged with the application form.

The following list indicates the supporting documents required to be included in the application form

A Working with Children Check is now a mandatory requirement for anyone in South Australia who works with children. Find out more about this requirement here.

You will also need to provide payment of the appropriate fees.