Skip to Content

Instrumental Music Instructor

Board Policy

Instrumental Music Instructors in Schools or Pre-Schools

The Board's policy enables instrumental music instructors, who do not hold teacher registration, to teach in a school or pre-school in the specialised subject area of a specified musical instrument, (e.g. piano, violin, guitar, vocal teaching, saxophone, recorder, flute, etc.) or category of musical instruments (e.g. keyboard instruments, stringed instruments, woodwind instruments, percussion instruments etc.).

This Special Authority does not enable the applicant to teach any other subject.

Instrumental music instructors can lodge an Application for a Special Authority for an Unregistered Person to Teach form with the Board.

Read Special Authority to Teach Policy here

Minimum Qualifications Requirements

  • Successful completion of the Graduate Certificate in Music Teaching from the Elder Conservatorium/the University of Adelaide; or successful completion of the Bachelor of Music (including HM4027) from TABOR; or
  1. A major study in the instrument to be taught as part of an approved music degree, diploma or equivalent qualification awarded on satisfactory completion of a tertiary course of study that is of at least three years full-time duration or part-time equivalent and;
  2. Evidence of approved studies in music education/teaching/pedagogy.

Evidence of approved studies in music education/teaching/pedagogy would consist of at least 135 hours of study (approximately one-quarter of a full-year) at workshops, seminars,  summer schools or tertiary courses. These are offered by universities, TAFE colleges and professional music organisations like the AMEB, MTA, Orff, Yamaha, Suzuki, AUSTA,  ASME, etc.

Renewal of Special Authority

An applicant is eligible to apply to renew a Special Authority at the expiry of each three year period provided they have satisfied all other requirements i.e. Mandatory Notification Training, consent to a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check undertaken by the Board and are fit and proper to be granted an extension of the Special Authority to Teach for a further three year period.

Application Form