When you submit your application for teacher registration you must provide four documents to confirm your identity:

  • one from Commencement documents to confirm your birth in Australia or arrival in Australia
  • one from Primary documents and;
  • two from Secondary documents to show the use of your identity in the community.

Click here to view the list of Proof of Identity Documents for New Applicants.

Things to remember

  • All documentation supplied in support of your application is the original or a certified copy.
  • Copies of original documents must be certified by the same Justice of the Peace that signs the Statutory Declaration page in your application form.
  • Each document submitted for certification must be a photocopy with the original document available for sighting at the time of certification.
  • In some circumstances, the Board may require presentation of an original document.
  • If all documents have not been correctly certified, the application will not be accepted and will be returned to you.
  • All documents in a language other than English lodged as part of an application for teacher registration must be submitted with official certified English translations. (refer to the National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters website).
  • You are also required to include certified copies of all name changes (e.g. marriage certificate, decree nisi or deed poll). You will need additional documents to satisfy the Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check minimum identity requirements however, you may also use the above documents to meet part of those ID requirements.
  • If you provide identity documents using a former name, you must provide evidence of your name change. This means providing a change of name certificate issued by the Australian Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages or an Australian marriage certificate issued by a state or territory or a decree nisi, in addition to your four identity documents. (ie if you use your marriage certificate for name change purposes, you cannot use it for ID).
  • If your change of name documents were issued in a country other than Australia please contact us.

The Board utilises the Document Verification Service (DVS) to confirm that the details on the identity document match the records held by the government authority that issued the document. You will be asked to provide informed consent to the DVS check.

Refer to : Information Sheet - Proof of Identity Documents

Documentation provided for a Nationally Coordinated Criminal History Check will be treated in a confidential manner. Refer to Privacy Statement